The Tzedek Social Justice Fellowship (Tzedek) is a full-time paid professional and personal development opportunity for emerging social justice leaders. Over the course of 11 months, Fellows work 30 hours each week at a local nonprofit, social justice organization in Asheville, NC and spend 10 hours each week developing life and leadership skills with Tzedek staff and other local and national thought leaders and activists.
The Tzedek Social Justice Fellowship is currently on a “pause for the cause” as we build a more responsive program, develop more transparent systems, and deeply embody our values.
Experiential Learning to Empower Social Justice Leaders
Through a unique combination of work, training, and community building, Fellows develop the skills and resiliency needed to become strong and effective activists, allies, and social justice leaders. It’s a life changing experience designed to amplify Fellows’ impact in the world!
During the program, Tzedek Fellows learn to:
- Build transformational relationships within the local community
- Become strong and effective community activists, allies, and leaders
- Create powerful connections that bridge across bias
- Organize grassroots movements capable of effecting positive community change
Benefits of the Fellowship
Some benefits are easy to quantify. Others are less quantifiable but just as valuable. And while job descriptions may vary between host organizations, all Tzedek Fellows receive the following benefits:
- Full full time salary that accounts for living wage standards, Asheville cost of living, and health care needs
- Vacation and sick leave per host organization’s policies
- Professional development stipend
- 10 hours a week of personal and professional development training
- Experience working with and for visionary organizations
- Mentorship from influential social justice activists
- Paid registration, travel expenses, and housing at two national conferences
- Network access, including alumni and regional and national leaders
Who Should Apply—Emerging Leaders and Activists
Successful candidates have a demonstrated passion for social justice work. Tzedek understands that being a social justice leader can mean many different things. What is your desire for social change? How do you invite other people into activism? These are the questions that interest us, and there are no “right” answers. We celebrate the unique humanity of our Fellows, and nurture their investment to evolve as agents of change. Our program is designed to amplify the capacity, leadership skills, and network of our Fellows, and to deepen the expertise of emerging social justice leaders.
How to Apply
Interested applicants can apply to become a Tzedek Fellow. Host organizations are responsible for their interviewing and hiring process, and pay Tzedek Fellows a living wage salary. The salary and other compensation is made possible by a grant from the Amy Mandel and Katina Rodis Fund. Applications are accepted each spring for a limited time. If it’s outside the window for applications, sign up to get an email when it’s time to apply. We look forward to meeting you!